Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I WANT ME BACK


If you have an all-consuming job like I do, then you can appreciate my statement. I am a teacher of middle school students. My life consists of planning, organizing, cleaning, teaching, preparing, negotiating, mothering, arguing, nurturing, reading, writing, THINKING, creating … and that’s all before school begins. Besides being a 2nd year teacher, I have been taking graduate courses since I began teaching and am on my 7th one. Simply put, I am pooped. During our April vacation, (mud/snow season in Vermont), I felt a twinge of what life used to be like before I took on a new career. I cleaned the yard, I painted my toenails, I hung new curtains in my bedroom. I baked breads and wrote notes and ran every day. I felt rested, calm and relaxed. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, have new energy for it (most) days and am dedicated to helping each of my students achieve his most while entrusted in my care. I am just, at this time, tired out. I want to feel who I am again.

1 comment:

Shara said...

Hello Girl,
I'm having a bad spell too! This is the end of the school year, they're tired of school and us and we're tired of school and them...it's a rite of passage for school teachers. For me at this time of year I'm realizing that I'm close to burn out...so ready for summer vacation. Hang in there, summer does come but sometimes I wish summer was neverending!
Shara

"Write the best sentence you can." E. Hemingway